Saturday, April 08, 2006

8th April 2006

We start a difficult month here as the Genocide mourning period begins on Friday - it’s for a week but the month is set aside for grief and there is no major or in your face marketing or advertising that takes place out of respect.

As a result it was a public holiday here yesterday - a very solemn day as it is as I said, the start of an official week long mourning session as today, 12 years ago, was the start of the genocide. A palpable quiet has descended on the country and a sense of numbness that I am told to expect to last the month?

I had a fun day on Wednesday – I had, at a earlier meeting with the local commerce college to supply them telecoms, been asked if I would be prepared to do a lecture on business and marketing in particular - a beautiful college on a hill and under the shade of amazing trees sits this campus that is so tranquil. An offer I could not resist

It fitted in with one of those give back projects I wanted to do and their dean was delighted that I would be prepared to talk, so for three hours we had a great session – I spoke for about 45 minutes and the quizzed me for the next few hours.

About 60 students participated all 3 and 4th year.

Afterwards the local “entrepreneurs Chapter” asked if I would attend an evening session of theirs – naturally I said Of course!

Rwanda is still fun and there are days that I just find myself chuckling at some of the events and then others when I am so frustrated I can scream. But on the whole still happy and enjoying the challenge!

MJM
Kigali,Rwanda
8th April 06